“Could you tell me about your Melkite monastic communities? I am a Byzantine Catholic (Ruthenian) with a calling to the monastic life, and wanted to know about the options available in the Melkite tradition.
Bishop John’s Answer:
“The Church has always recognized a vocation to Religious life as a separate call from God Himself. Religious life involves a radical restatement and recommitment to one’s baptismal vows. By living the evangelical vows of poverty, chastity and obedience, the Religious conforms to Christ in most intimate way. Religious life brings with it many joys and many challenges. If you feel led to examine Religious life, I would encourage you to speak with your spiritual director and/or confessor. Certainly continue to ask the Lord for direction in prayer. Within our Melkite Church, there is a Religious community of very ancient origin. I myself am a member. For more information and a possible visit, you may contact Rt. Rev. Gerasimos Murphy, BSO at 18 New Dunstable Rd., Nashua, NH, the Regional Superior; (603) 595-9815 or Rev. Martin Hyatt,BSO, local superior, 30 East Street, Methuen, Massachusetts. 01844 (978)682-1963. The Salvatorian Religious take vows that are the equivalent of monastic vows, however, they are an active Order of priests involved in spiritual renewal and parish ministries. There are several other communities of Religious in the Melkite Church, however, they are located in the Middle East.
“I am a catholic interested in eastern monastic life. I am 21 years old and am wondering if I could have contact information for and monasteries under your eparchy or under the other eastern rites.”
Bishop John’s Answer:
I am sorry I have taken so long to answer, the delay is due to our moving our residence and chancery to new quarters (Brookline instead of West Newton). This is a list of what we could find on Eastern Catholic religious life here in the USA:
- Melkite –
- Basilian Salvatorian Fathers, 30 East Street, Methuen, MA 01844, (978) 682-1963
- Ukrainian –
- Holy Transfiguration Monastery, 17001 Tomki Road, P.O. Box 217, Redwood Valley, CA 95470, (707) 485-8059
- Holy Dormition Monastery (Byzantine Franciscans), P.O. Box 270, Sybertsville, PA 18251, (717) 788-1212
- Monastery of the Holy Cross, 1302 Quincey St., NE, Washington, DC 20017-2614, (202) 832-8519
- Basilian Fathers, 31-12 30th St., Long Island City, New York, NY 11106, (718) 278-6622
- Ruthenians –
- Holy Trinity Monastery (Byzantine Benedictines), P.O. Box 990, Butler, PA 16003, (724) 287-6160
- Holy Resurrection Monastery, 45704 Valley Center Road, P.O. Box 130, Newberry Springs, CA 92365, (760) 257-4008