Publicans Prayer Book
Publicans Prayer Book
OUT OF STOCK - (Notify me when it's published)
This beautiful prayer book, designed for personal use, contains over 900 pages of the traditional prayers of the Eastern Churches offered by generations of Christians — spiritual publicans — who heeded the Lord's call to repent and “seek, first, the Kingdom of God” (Matthew 6:33).
Features of the 4th edition:
- All the beautiful treasury of prayers from the first three editions, plus over 100 additional pages, including…
- A Small Horologion, simplified and abbreviated for personal use in the “domestic church” of the home (like the Book of Hours published by Sophia Press in 2013) for those who desire to pray the canonical hours (Divine Office). Ideal for family prayer
- The Akathist of Thanksgiving, known under the title, Glory to God for All Things, a magnificent testament of praise to God for His loving care and guiding providence in our lives
- An expanded Table of Contents, making it easier to find the special prayers you wish to pray
- Additional texts of the Holy Fathers including… St. Athanasios’ On Praying the Psalms, and the famous homily of St. Proclus of Constantinople, friend and disciple of St. John Chrysostom, On the Theotokos, delivered in Hagia Sophia in the presence of the heretic Nestorius
- New classic graphics from ancient liturgical books
The Publicans Prayer Book has become a beloved “fellow-traveler” (synekdimos) to so many spiritual publicans as they journey on the “strait and narrow path that leads to life.”
Makes a perfect gift for bridal couples, students going away to college, name days and birthdays, holidays and feast days, and for anyone who desires a deeper life in Christ.
Also includes all the features of the 2nd edition:
- the traditional Morning Prayers and Prayers Before Sleep
- prayers for use throughout the day
- and prayers for various needs, such as: prayers for the dead, for the sick, for married couples, for travelers, for deliverance from addiction, for the clergy, for purity, for healing from cancer, for aborted children, and many others
- Prayers of preparation/thanksgiving for Holy Communion and Confession
- Calendar of Saints and Feasts, with troparia, for every day of the year
- Nine Canons and Akathists, including the Paschal Canon, the Great Canon of St. Andrew of Crete, the Akathist to the Mother of God, and the Paraklesis service
- The Wisdom of the East: selected writings of the Church Fathers on prayer and related topics;
- and spiritual guidance for living always in the presence of God
- Glossary of terms and bibliography of selected texts on Eastern Christian spirituality
- Handy insert for Society of Publicans with calendar for praying for all the churches of our Eparchy
The Publicans Prayer Book is a valuable help for Eastern Christians who seek to sanctify their daily lives by responding to the Lord's call to “pray at all times” (Luke 21:34).
Richly leather-bound with gold embossing, sewn binding, fine quality paper, gilt edges, silk ribbons, two_color printing throughout, in a practical 5x7 size, with lovely reproductions of woodcuts from antique Byzantine liturgical books.