MELKITE CHALLENGE GRADES 3, 4, AND 5
- 1. Who first said that the Church is the Body of Christ?
- 2. Who wrote most of the Epistles in the New Testament?
- 3. Name one of the names or terms by which we refer to Jesus Christ.
- 4. To whom did God give the Ten Commandments on Mount Sinai?
- 5. Where did the Israelites live before they left to wander into the wilderness and finally to enter the Promised Land?
- 6. What are idols?
- 7. Why is Abraham so important?
- 8. What is the name commonly given to the Israelites’ flight from Egypt?
- 9. What do we call the special pictures of the Lord, His Mother, and the saints that we see in church and in our homes?
- 10. What are three things we call God in the Divine Liturgy?
- 11. What is the part of the Bible that deals with Jesus and the early Church?
- 12. What do we call people who were sent by God to speak the truth to those who were disobedient?
- 13. What did the Babylonians do in 586 BC?
- 14. What is the book of the Old Testament containing poems, prayers, and hymns?
- 15. What does Theotokos mean?
- 16. When do we celebrate the Annunciation?
- 17. What does Panagia mean?
- 18. What did Mary say to the angel Gabriel when he told her she was going to become the mother of Jesus through God’s Holy Spirit?
- 19. When did God send the Holy Spirit upon Jesus and say, “This is my own Son, with whom I am pleased.”
- 20. What do we call the point in the Divine Liturgy when the priest or deacon holds high the Gospel Book in procession?
- 21. What do we call the point in the Divine Liturgy when the congregation sings the Cherubic hymn and the Priest carries the gifts of bread and wine in procession?
- 22. What does Amen mean?
- 23. Who preached that the Kingdom of God had arrived on earth?
- 24. Who had the mission of telling people to turn away from their sins and prepare for the coming of Christ?
- 25. After what great event did Jesus fast and pray for 40 days in the wilderness and was tempted by the devil?
MELKITE CHALLENGE GRADES 6, 7, AND 8
- 1. When is “Forgiveness Sunday”?
- 2. What is the difference between disciples and Apostles?
- 3. Who was the first Christian martyr?
- 4. Why was Elijah important?
- 5. Which of the evangelists was not an Apostle?
- 6. Who accompanied Jesus on Mt. Tabor?
- 7. What is the meaning of Baptism?
- 8. Where do we find the history, growth and journeys of St Paul?
- 9. What is another name for St John the Baptist?
- 10. What do we call the service of preparation for the Liturgy?
- 11. What do we call the rectangular cloth worth on the shoulder of the Priest in the Great Entrance
- 12. What does the serpent on the Bishop’s staff symbolize?
- 13. Who wrote the’suffering servant’ letters?
- 14. August 29th is a feast day celebrating what event?
- 15. Who replaced the symbolic eagles of Caesar with the cross of Christ as the standard emblem of Christian faiths the world over ever since.
- 16. What is the name of the bread used in the Eucharist and its meaning in Greek?
- 17. What appears on the Holy Doors?
- 18. Why is the bread placed in the chalice called “the Lamb?”
- 19. “Jesus Christ Conquers” in Greek appears on the bread stamped before it is baked, what are those letters?
- 20. What was the Liturgy or gathering called in the early church?
- 21. On what day did the Theotokos make her entry into the temple?
- 22. What are the dates of the Christmas Fast?
- 23. Who went with Jesus to the Garden of Gethsamene to praybefore the crucifixion?.
- 24. Who was first person to declare: Jesus was the Son of God.
- 25. How is the word “sin” translated from Greek?
MELKITE CHALLENGE GRADES 9-12
- 1. What are the two main parts of the Bible?
- 2. Which part of the Bible prepares the world for the coming of Christ?
- 3. Which part of the Bible testifies to the fact that Christ has come and has saved the world?
- 4. What are the first words of the Gospel of St. John?
- 5. What are the first four books of the New Testament?
- 6. Name the synoptic gospels and explain what the term means.
- 7. When were the synoptic gospels written?
- 8. In what language was the New Testament written?
- 9. Which one of the four evangelists received the title of the “Theologian”?
- 10. St. Luke wrote which book of the New Testament besides his Gospel?
- 11. How many New Testament Epistles did St. Paul write, if we attribute the Epistle to the Hebrews to him?
- 12. Where in the New Testament can we find this passage? “Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude . . . Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.”
- 13. What is the name of the table on which the gifts for holy communion are prepared, which stands in the altar area to the left of the altar table.
- 14. What is the significance of September 1 in the church year?
- 15. What is the Triodion?
- 16. What is the Pentecostarion?
- 17. Name the five Sundays before Great Lent begins.
- 18. What famous spiritual book was written by St. John Climacus?
- 19. What do we call the Feast of Christ’s triumphant entry into Jerusalem?
- 20. When do we celebrate the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross?
- 21. The Liturgical year is divided into three cycles. Identify them.
- 22. What is the name of the penitential service celebrated during Great Lent, in which we receive Holy Communion?
- 23. What is the Akathist Hymn?
- 24. What do we celebrate on the Feast of the Theophany?
- 25. Who was the Apostle to Egypt?