MELKITE CHALLENGE GRADES 3, 4, AND 5
1. What has oil become a symbol of?
A. God’s mercy
2. Fill in the parts of the body that are anointed during baptism?
A. That he/she may use the hearing of faith: ears
That he/she may walk in the way of the commandments: feet
Thy hands have made me and fashioned me: hands
The servant of God is anointed with the oil of gladness in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen: head
3. Who made us and loves us?
4. What do we receive in the Divine Liturgy?
A. We receive Jesus
5. What happens when we receive Holy Communion?
A. We are united to God and our body and spirit are nourished by Holy Communion.
5. What are the words that we hear when the Divine Liturgy begins?
A. Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, now and ever and forever.”
6. What do we sing after the Priests says the words above?
7. When does our Christian family pray together?
A. On Sundays and feast days
8. The external signs used in baptism are:
A. water, a robe, and a candle
9. What are you initiated into in Baptism and Chrismation?
A. I am initiated into the Church
10. What does Jesus ask us to do as members of God’s people?
A. “Love one another as I have loved you.”
11. What are the stone tablets that Moses received called?
A. The ten commandments
12. What happened on Mt. Sinai?
A. The Lord said to Moses “Come up to me on the mountain and while you are there, I will give you the stone tablets on which are written the Ten commandments.
13. What is the name of the prayer that Jesus taught us to pray?
A. The Lord’s Prayer
14. What is another name for “Hallowed”
15. How do we talk to God?
A. When we pray
16. Name five items the priest used to prepare Holy Communion?
A. Prosphora (holy bread), wine and water cruets, chalice, diskos, communion spoon and lance.
17. What does the Prosphora or holy bread become for us?
A. The body of Christ
18. What does the wine become for us?
A. The wine will become the Blood of Christ.
19. When do you partake of the bread of life?
A. When we receive Holy Communion
20. What is the story of the loaves and fishes called?
A. The story is called the feeding of the five thousand
21. How many loaves of bread and how many fish did the boy have?
A. Andrew said, “Here is a boy with five barley loaves and two fish.”
22. What are we to remember on Good Friday?
A. We are to remember that Jesus died on the cross.
23. The word “Gospel” is used to describe what?
A. The Good News or good tidings that are contained in the first four books of the New Testament.
24. What is it that makes mankind different from animals?
A. The most important things is that man can speak while animals can not
25. Before we listen to the Bible read in Church, what does the priest say?
A. Let us attend! This means “pay attention” The church is incensed to let us know that something important is to happen.
MELKITE CHALLENGE GRADES 6, 7, AND 8
1. In the beginning of the Liturgy what does the priest announce as our destination?
A. The priest announces our destination “Blessed in the Kingdom of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.”
2. What do we do in the “Little Entrance” in the Divine Liturgy?
A. We follow the Gospel – the words of Jesus Christ that lead us to the Kingdom.
3. In The Divine Liturgy, what happens in the “Great Entrance”?
A. We bring our gifts to God – bread and wine – food and drink we need to live
4. In the Divine Liturgy, what happens in us in the Kingdom?
A. In the Kingdom we receive God’s gift of Jesus Christ in us when we partake of Holy Communion.
5. When were the seeds of God’s Kingdom planted?
A. The seeds of God’s Kingdom were planted when the Church was founded.
6. When does our day of worship begin?
A. Our day of worship begins in the evening. Following the tradition of the Old Testament which says in the story of creation: “And the evening and the morning were the first day. . .”*(Gen1:5)
7. The order of church services follow what events?
A. They follow certain events in the life of Jesus Christ. These events are part of the history of our salvation.
8. The time of the service of vespers and compline is?
A. 7 PM and 8 PM
9. The theme of the services of Vespers and Compline is?
A. The creation of the worldt Watch In odern time 6-9pm and 9-12 pm
10. The time of the service of Matins and the theme of the service is?
A. 6 AM – theme: Preparation for Christ
11. The time of the service of first hour?
A. 7 am Theme: creation of the light of day
12. The time of the service of the third hour?
A. 9am 12 noon
Time of the Holy Spirit.
13. The theme of the six hour is ?
A. Time 9:30 am – modern time 12 noon to 3PM
Theme: The crucifixion of Christ.
14. What is the theme of the ninth hour?
A. Time 3 to 6pm Theme: Death of Christ on Cross
15. Complete the following beatitude: “Blessed are the Meek. . and explain what that means.
A. “for they shall inherit the earth.” This means that those who do not always strive for domination are blessed by God.
16. is the prayer we say during lent?
A. St. Ephraim’s Prayer
17. The meal Jesus had on Holy Thursday was?
A. The Last Supper
18. What did Jesus do for Lazarus?
A. Raise him from the dead.
19. Cheese Fair Sunday is called?
A. Forgiveness Sunday
20. What is the Easter greeting?
A. Christ is Risen!
21. On the 3rd Sunday of lent we venerate what?
A. The Cross
22. The Sunday of Orthodoxy celebrates the return of ________–to the
23. Who said he didn’t know Jesus, three times?
24. Jesus came to Jerusalem for what holiday?
25. The 4th Sunday of Lent is dedicated to?
A. St. John of the Ladder
26. What did the foolish maidens forget?
A. Extra oil for their lamps
MELKITE CHALLENGE GRADES 9-12
1. What does it mean to blaspheme?
A. Blaspheme means to speak irreverently or curse sacred things.
2. What did God command Noah to do?
A. build an ark
3. God promised him the land of milk and honey. What is his name?
4. His brother was Esau. What was his name?
5. He fought the battle of Jericho. What was his name?
6. He prophesied the birth of Christ. What was his name?
7. What are the four sacraments (mysteries) that are absolutely necessary for Eastern Christians?
A. Baptism, Chrism, Confession and Holy Communion
8. What sacrament do we not approach God as individuals?
9. What are the two parts of the sacrament of marriage service?
A. The betrothal or engagement ceremony
B. The Crowning, or actual sacrament of Marriage
10. What is the visible sign of the Holy Unction service?
A. The visible sign consist of the oil and small amount of wine which are blessed by the Priest and used for the anointing; they also include the words-prayers, hymns and scripture readings.
11. What is the sacrament of Holy Orders?
A. Also known as ordination. This is the sacrament in which a Bishop invokes the Grace of the Holy Spirit to come down upon the candidate and make him worthy to serve in the Priesthood of Jesus Christ.
12. Name the three orders of the priesthood.
A. Deacon, Priest and Bishop
13. Who were the first Bishops?
A. the apostles.
14. What does the sponsor at Baptism renounce?
A. The sponsor renounces Satan
15. Christ was baptized by St. John in what river?
A. The Jordan river
16. The two sources from which Christianity draws its truths are:
A. Holy Tradition and Holy Scripture.
17. The official version of the Greek Old Testament is called:
A. The Septuagint Greek version
18. What is the meaning of the word epistle?
A. the word means letter.
19. What is the difference between a disciple and an apostle?
A. A disciple is a student, one being taught. The word apostle comes from the Greek verb “apostello” which means to send forth. Apostles were sent forth with a mission which was the promise of salvation.
20. What does salvation mean?
A. It comes from the word meaning “to save”. It means to be saved from our sins – from the consequences of our own evil acts.
21. Identify some of the ways God spoke to the prophets.
A. To Moses He appeared first as fire in the burning bush, but later (on the journey through the wilderness) in a pillar of cloud which hovered at the door of Moses’ tent. To Jacob He appeared as an Angel. To Elijah He appeared as fire and again as a whirlwind. It was believed that no man could look upon the face of God and live. (Exodus 33.20&22 & 22-23).
22. What is a covenant?
A. A covenant is a promise or an agreement that will be fulfilled.
23. Identify a few covenants that God made with man.
A. First, was the direct covenant with Adam; then the oral covenant with Abraham, which He renewed with Isaac and Jacob. Then God made a written covenant , the Ten Commandments with Moses.
24. What does the first part of the Divine Liturgy, before the Cherubim Hymn, represents for us?
A. It represents Christ’s mission in the world as teacher and prophet. It includes the readings from the Gospel and Epistles, because these contain Christ’s teachings.
25. What do we mean by Christ’s Incarnation?
A. By Christ’s Incarnation, we mean His taking on human form.